WHAT WAS THE SITUATION, ISSUE, OR EVENT THAT INITIATED THIS OPPORTUNITY?
Target of our services: Top government lawyers in NYC following 9/11.
100 employees of a US government agency housed at the WTC (85% of whom were attorneys). We provided human impact services to the agency 2 days following the attacks.
Challenges for the client:
- Office building destroyed/locate space
- Negotiate union issues
- Assess & Minimize psychological damage to employees site
- Need for policies re: absence/relocation requests
- Governmental bureaucracy re: decision-making process
- Restore files
- Keep employees 'connected'
- Managing temporary office site fears/issues
WHAT DID WE DO?
- Coordinated national & local planning process
- 2 day mtgs. w/employees before new site located
- Group & Individual. Counseling for EE's & family
- On-site support as temp. office opened
- Regularly scheduled group. Mtgs. w/EE's
- Consult to execs. re: return to work issues
- Provided follow-up services. at 1 yr. anniversary
- Established 24/7 phone hotline
- Psychological assessments for all employees
- Psychoeducational video to all managers.
- Established Senior Executive crisis team
- Established info flow chain
- Generated exec. report re: employee impact
HOW DID WE ADD AND MEASURE VALUE TO THE CLIENT?
- 3 month contract extended to 6 months
- Only 1 employee relocation
- Kept EE's engaged during 'no office' phase
- All staff educated about 'normal' response
- Workplace conflicts reduced
- Significant reduction in PTSD Symptoms
- Joint union/mgmt. requests for added services
- Only 1 employee lost work time
- Minimized destructive rumors
- Enhanced staff integration at new site
- Employee appreciation of mgrs. improved
- EE family members supported
WHO WOULD BE GREAT PROSPECTS, CLIENTS OR TARGET INDUSTRIES?
Any large or multi-site organization/corporation, industries with particular "target" vulnerability, e.g. Power Production, Government, Data Storage, Chemical Manufacturing, Munitions Production
WHO ARE THE ORI EXPERTS?
Kevin Becker, Psy.D., Jeff Weir, MA